View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #196
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

All right, let's group 'em and whittle these down.

Charming.

THE LADIES
Nienor
Galadriel
Melian

All could stake a claim to it- lovely people inside and out. But I'd say Melian clearly emerges, with her goddess-like state of being. Clearly trumps Galadriel anyway since she's sort of a Melian-lite.

THE GUYS
Ghan-Buri-Ghan
Faramir
Bard
Huor

Of the Prince Charming candidates I think Faramir works best from a realistic perspective due to how well we know him, but he's in the shadow of Aragorn in his own time and the Gondolin-dwelling Huor probably surpassed him as well though we don't have as clear a vision of him. There isn't a clear Melian here. So honestly I'd pick Ghan-Buru-Ghan and Bard- GBG has a unique quality and humor to him given his culture and manner of speaking etc., and Bard is so connected to being grim and a downer that charming has some humor to it.

THE OTHERS
Spiders of Mirkwood
Old Man Willow
Saruman

It's tough to eliminate any of these, honestly. With Saruman- it's just so darn true. If we're going by real standards he'd have to be picked I think. Old Man Willow is similarly charming (lure then strike), and just calling a tree "charming" is funny. And the Spiders of course are potentially the least charming of all, thus they work from a contradictory stand-point. Ugh... I suppose we'll toss the Spiders (since we can't debate them very well) with the understanding that Kit is justified in picking them out of nowhere due to humor.

So, the FINALISTS...

Melian
Ghan-Buri-Ghan
Bard
Saruman
Old Man Willow