Thread: Eldarion
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2003, 08:47 AM   #19
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Symestreem, I only want to add to the perfect explanation given by Saucepan Man a quote from the Silmarillion, in HoME 5:

Quote:
Then Manwë gave judgement and he said: 'To Eärendel I remit the ban, and the peril that he took upon himself out of love for the Two Kindreds shall not fall on him; neither shall it fall upon Elwing who entered into peril for love of Eärendel: save only in this: they shall not ever walk again among Elves of Men in the Outer Lands. Now all those who have the blood of mortal Men, in whatever part, great or small, are mortal, unless other doom be granted to them; but in this matter the power of doom is given to me. This is my decree: to Eärendel and to Elwing and to their sons shall be given leave each to choose freely under which kindred they shall be judged.
The Lost Road and Other Writings - HoME 5
As you can see form this quote, Dior was mortal because he had the blood of Beren and, at that time, all that have mortal blood were mortal, irrespective of the amount of elven blood they had.

Quote:
Hmm... is it possible for Dior to have been a mortal elf? This goes against the definiton of elf, but then how do you explain Arwen if that can't be so?
Neither Arwen nor Dior are elves, they are half-elven (each one with different percentages of maia, elven and mortal blood, of course). The difference between them is that Arwen had to choose her destiny, because she is the daughter of Elrond who is the son of Eärendil and Elwing, and Dior was fully mortal, whithout choice.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:17 AM December 31, 2003: Message edited by: Amarie of the Vanyar ]