View Single Post
Old 07-24-2002, 06:00 PM   #295
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Earlier, Pio had talked with Bird about Mith's concerns about the possibility that the actions of the "Lonely Star" and her crew could have disasterous effects on the past and future of Middle-Earth's history.

"Hmmmmmm", said Bird, sitting cross-legged on a water barrel and puzzling through the 'goblin theory'. It's an interesting theory. And if taken to it's farthest end, it should discourage us from making ANY attempt to go back to the First Age. I suppose it is possible that a rabbit we kill for our supper in Beleriand could have been meant to be eaten by an Eagle. Because we took the rabbit instead, that Eagle may die from hunger. If that Eagle was the Great-Great Grandsire of Gwaihir the Wind Lord, then that one rabbit could change the whole course of Middle-Earth history!"

After a moment though, Birdie said slowly: "N-n-n-ooo. I can't believe that it is that simple. Or complex. Whatever. Our success or failure on this journey is being guided by something more than chance events. If we make it to Beleriand, and have any effect - for good or ill - I feel in my heart that it was meant to be. The things we experience were meant to be experienced, and the people we meet? Well, I feel we were meant to meet them."

Suddenly Bird sat upright, and a startled look came to her eyes. "The people we meet, we were meant to meet..." she repeated. Then Bird looked to the right as the stowaway, Daisy, came up the ladder from below deck. Wonder and grave doubt, in equal measure, spread across the skin-changer's face.