View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 01:36 AM   #147
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
So, all in all, my main argument against the Arkenstone being the Silmaril is that, in my eyes, such a thing would ruin both stories rather than make them more interesting. Cogito, ergo they are not.
Ultimately, this. The Silmarils are a part of the First Age, the war of the Light against Those who would destroy it. Their one representative in the Third Age, the star and light of Earendil, serves as a reminder of that war, a memory of which side won, and a weapon against the daughter of She who would devour it. To have another representative serve as an unknown spark of conflict would be to weaken the Silmarils and the end of the First Age both.

... but.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
The whole theory is, to my mind, clearly wrong, but I find I can tolerate quite a bit of utter wrongness when it's done knowing it's wrong.
It can be so much fun.

(The Gundabad escape would be in the hands of a Longbeard princess, just like the escape from Doriath long ago. I already think she's amazing and she doesn't even have a name!)

hS