View Single Post
Old 07-20-2003, 04:21 PM   #130
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Menelya and the others sat away from everyone else. The women talked loudly with one another about Thelian's attempt on Anwenelme's life. Menelya kept shooting glances over at her daughter, trying to catch her eye. Anwenelme never looked towards her mother though.

Menelya sighed loudly. This whole ordeal was Anwenelme's fault. If the strumpet had not committed her acts of bitterness, none of this would have happened. Menelya would not be the center of scorn and mockery and Anwenelme would be well on her way to marrying Melost, furthering Menelya's position. Instead of being higher than these giggling dolts, Menelya had fallen to the bottom of the social ladder. It all happened to suddenly. A week ago, Menelya was sure that at that time the next week, she would be revered by the idiots that now sat teasing her and showing false sympathy towards her situation.

"And did you see the look in his eyes?" one woman said, her shrill voice penetrating Menelya's thoughts, "I would not be surprised if he ended up killing someone! I just hope it is not one of us. If my husband was here...he would not stand for such a display! That boy would be sent away!"

"And that girl! Menelya! How could you let that girl grow up to be so...so...how could you let her be that way? It is all her fault though. Maybe the boy should have gone through with his deeds," another said.

"Shush!" another said, "We should not blame Menelya! Although she does show the same low class as the girl, the girl's low class does not directly reflect Menelya's behavior!"

"Maybe you all should keep your noses out of what is not your business," Menelya said coldly, "We do not want more deeds of a 'cold-blooded' nature while you sleep, do we?"

"You would not dare," the first Elf woman said, challengingly, "Do you know what that would do to your reputation?"

"Frankly, I don't see how it could bring me any lower down," Menelya said quietly, "And it might feel good. What about you?" she indicated to the woman, "Would you be dreadfully offended if your blood was spilled on this night."

The woman looked at her in shock. "I suppose you would mind then?" Menelya said, thoroughly enjoying her little game, "Oh well. A woman can dream still, can't she?"

The women all fell silent, their own games no longer fun. Menelya continued to glare at them for some time, then she looked over at the group. Arthain had left for his tent, it appeared. This was all Anwenelme's fault. And yet, Menelya still felt a strange twinge of pride. Anwenelme certainly knew how to take her revenge. She had managed to ruin the lives of every one of those that she felt had oppressed her. Yes, it included Menelya, but the Elf mother was still proud. Anwenelme had shown more of Menelya's own traits in the past few days than Menelya had ever seen displayed in her daughter.

Menelya looked at the silent women, who were looking at her in both rage and fear. Menelya again noted Arthain's disappearacne.

"Well, it seems as though Master Arthain has gone to bed. I suppose you all should as well. I think I will stay up...no: don't worry. I am merely checking on the well-being of my daughter. She must have had just an awful night," Menelya said, making a show of looking over and Anwenelme sympathetically. She really had no intention of approaching the girl this night.

The women looked at Menelya closely as they left one-by-one for their tents. Menelya sat staring out into the dark, not really intending on sleeping on that night or even going into her tent, if she had any say in that matter.

[ July 21, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]