View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 03:58 AM   #25
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

This might have already been very obvious throughout the discussion of this chapter, but I just love how Aragorn comes out here as the unquestionable king of Gondor in all respects. I feel that different 'sectors' of Gondorian society view their king in different ways:

1. Denethor, being the Steward and not of the line of kings, considers the lineage.
Quote:
'But I say to thee, Gandalf Mithrandir, I will not be thy tool! I am Steward of the House of Anarion. I will not step down to be the dotard chamberlain of an upstart. Even were his claim proved to me, still he comes but of the line of Isildur. I will not bow to such a one, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship and dignity.'
2. The soldiers of Gondor - even their allies - view their king as a mighty warrior, as implied in The Battle of the Pelennor Fields. There Aragorn's claim to the kingship were signified by the Standard of Gondor that he displayed, the Star of the North Kingdom, and Anduril. Though nothing of this has been said, I do not doubt that this early on in the story, some Gondorians have come to believe that their king has indeed come.

3. Most significantly in this discussion, the healers, particularly Ioreth, acknowledge their king as a fellow healer. (I don't think I need to quote again Ioreth's words regarding this.) In my opinion, Aragorn came into Minas Tirith without the symbols of his kingship that I have mentioned above not only because he did not want any debate, but also because they were unneccessary. All he needs to prove that he is king at this time is his ability to heal, and the Elessar - regardless of its role in the act - is a symbol of that.

One of the most touching scenes in this chapter is this:
Quote:
'Strider! How splendid! Do you know, I guessed it was you in the black ships. But they were shouting corsairs and wouldn't listen to me. How did you do it?
Aragorn laughed, and took the hobbit by the hand. 'Well met indeed!' he said. 'But there is not time yet for travellers' tales.'
But Imrahil said to Eomer: 'Is it thus that we speak to our kings? Yet maybe he will wear his crown in some other name!'
Reading this filled me with a little condescension towards Imrahil. As the reader, I have known about Aragorn as Strider all the time; as a matter of fact, that was how I first knew him. But Imrahil only knew Aragorn as the rightful king, and so it came to him as a surprise that others would talk to him in such a manner, perhaps very slightly irreverently it seemed to him, if I may say (meaning no offense to Imrahil).

That is why I consider Pippin's words here very refreshing. I don't know about you all, but at this point I already felt a little choked up with all this talk of Aragorn being king, as if I miss the Aragorn that I have known through the hobbits, specifically Merry and Pippin. (I don't mean to say that Aragorn is suffering from multiple personality disease! ) So to me, seeing the word 'Strider' uttered in direct reference to Aragorn once again is a welcome relief, though that he did not exactly respond to Pippin's query as Strider would have, if you take my meaning. I do realize the gravity of their situation, so I understand that. What matters is that despite having become Elessar, he does not forget that he is still Strider.

[/rambling]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote