Thread: Marriage!
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2004, 06:47 PM   #25
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Wow, I'd never though of Sam in quite that light before! Thanks for providing something new to bend my head around!

I like to live in my own happy little world where Sam and Rosie are a very happy couple. I think that Sam would have made a wonderful father and husband... I saw his devotion to Frodo as an indication of his behavior towards anyone or anything that he loved... He was very devoted to saving the Shire, generous with his gift from Galadriel in order to make the Shire a better place and help to bring back some of what was lost in the time under Saruman. I like to think that he would have given Rosie the same love and devotion he gave to everything else he cared about... And Rosie had 13 children with him. I can't imagine her having so many children if she didn't love him back, or felt slighted in any way. I think that if she had felt that she took second priority to Frodo, she would have stopped saying "yes" or suggesting to have more herself. I truly can't see Sam as anything but a devoted, loving, caring husband. He's such a sweet, kindhearted guy.

In the book "Sauron Defeated", part of the History of Lord of the Rings, there is a very nice epilogue that never went into the book (but I like the book just fine the way it is!) that shows Sam with his children recieveing a letter from Aragorn... it's been a while since I read it, but I never saw anything indicating that he gave less love to his children than they deserved, at least that I can remember.

..."Well, I'm back"... What that is to me is an indication that Sam has really come home to stay. An acceptance of the fact that Frodo was gone, and that he would have to be "one and whole" in his life with Rosie...and a willingness to do so, a peace and happiness in his family (Rosie had set Elanor in his lap just before he said that). He didn't say, "Well, I'm back" at any point while Frodo was still around...and it was only after he left that Sam really came home to his family...and they had many happy years together. I think that maybe "Well, I've come back" as mentioned earlier by Mithalwen would have better conveyed that, but "well, I'm back" has a nice ring to it... and for me that sentiment, the feeling behind that of really coming home as he had perhaps not done in the years Frodo was still with him, remains.