View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 04:23 PM   #183
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
As always, it was Toby who knew what Snaveling really needed. The ale coursed through the Man’s blood and cooled the fires of self-pity and rage that coursed through him. What in the world was I thinking? he railed inwardly. And what is it about Galadel that gives her such power over me? His eyes strayed toward Roa where she sat with the Elven woman. Her reaction could not have been more dismissive nor so clear of her opinion. Snaveling was torn between relief and anger. He did not know what he had hoped for or wanted with his song, but whatever it had been he had not received it.

“Did I not tell you that you would do well to stay for this gala event?” Toby was saying, “I promise you, my friend, by the end of this night we will all be a great deal happier. We will each pay our debts to this place for bringing us together. You have your way…and I most certainly have mine.” Toby muffled another laugh as he patted his bulging vest pocket meaningfully.

“What do you mean?” Snaveling asked, intrigued by the hobbit’s manner in spite of his distracted feelings.

Toby merely winked at him, saying “All in good time.” Toby turned away to look over the crowd as a hobbit lass stepped up and spoke to him. Snaveling was in no mood for idle chatter; at the moment, even a brief conversation with his friend was beyond him. Scowling at the entire room, he drained the last of his ale and slipped away from the table. He moved along the walls to where the Innkeeper was standing. He had, of course, seen much of Aman in his weeks at the Inn, but he had avoided all but the most necessary conversation with her. He did not trust the Men of Gondor, but he despised the people of Rohan. As his own people’s nearest neighbours, they were the outsiders with whom they most often came into conflict.

Aman was talking with an especially large fellow – for a hobbit – who appeared to be someone of importance in the Shire. As Snaveling neared them both, they turned and the hobbit looked at him with open suspicion. Aman, however, courteously – if not with great warmth – asked if there were something she could do for him. Snaveling returned the hobbit’s glare before answering the woman. “Is there naught but ale and wine in this place?” he asked. “I feel the need of something much stronger!”