View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #37
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I would disagree with the phantom on two cases.

Firstly Theoden doesn't become less honest by being bad in recognizing dishonesty around him. It's the Forrest Gump thing... Also if one considers the specifications, he can be said to be a most trustworthy person in the end. The only problem I see with him is then that he is a too obvious a choice - although one could argue also that he's not that trustworthy if he can be persuaded to err that easily by Grima-like creatures.

In a similar vein Fangorn Forest doesn't become more or less honest because of there being "good trees and bad trees" - which I think doesn't hold water as a statement in the first place. Anyway, Gandalf trusted the Fangorn for a reason and they proved both truthful and honest when they realized they were no outsiders to the War even if they had previously thought so and took action. One could ask Aragorn or Theoden whether Fangorn is trustworthy...

But yeah, I'd still go for Fëanor, or The Witch-King, for them being interestingly honest in their talk & deeds even if we'd disagree with their aims and actions as such. Or then Tol-In-Gaurhoth, if one can identify it with the werewolf-game (which I'm kind on unsure of): the idea of being "honestly dishonest" as lying and deceit are the defining characters of the game is actually quite nice.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote