Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #29
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Ring rang a dong for to have a holiday

A couple of possibly relevant quotes :

Gandalf's explanation has been alluded to above-

Quote:
In Eregion long ago many Elven-rings were made, magic rings as you call them, and they were, of course, of various kinds: some more potent and some less. The lesser rings were only essays in the craft before it was full-grown, and to the Elven-smiths they were but trifles - yet still to my mind dangerous for mortals. But the Great Rings, the Rings of Power, they were perilous
But Galadriel may give us another glimpse of an aspect of the powers of the Three

Quote:
I say to you, Frodo, that even as I speak to you, I perceive the Dark Lord and know his mind, or all of his mind that concerns the Elves. And he gropes ever to see me and my thought, But still the door is closed!
which, I think generally ties in with Lal's hypothesis.

I wonder... exactly when Saruman forged his ring (or rings?) is not told. Nor is his reason for risking the use of the Palantir at that time. Putting two and two together, perhaps Saruman's ring gave him the over-confidence to believe that he could withstand Sauron in a Palantir encouter, or maybe I've made two and two equal five!

Another possible Saruman ring influence: Theoden. Doesn't it seem a little unnatural that Grima Wormtongue, roundly hated by all and sundry in Theoden's court, could exert such influence over the King? Who after all seems a straightforward and noble character underneath.