View Single Post
Old 02-23-2003, 06:35 PM   #112
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

When Raye, Dimithil, and Dia left the cave, it was still night. If there was any moon that night, Raye would never know, as the trees covered it.

The three searched through the darkness at a slow pace. But even a slow pace did not ease Raye's side. It throbbed at every step she took.

Finally, when they were not even a mile away from the cave, Raye collapsed, calling out to Dimithil.
"We have to rest," she told him. "I cannot go on tonight."
"I thought you told Tallin you would be all right," the elf replied.
"Well, I was wrong. At least we're away from that smell, for now at least."
"For now? What do you mean by that?"
"We have to go back and bury the dead. You don't expect us to leave their corpses to rot, do you?"
Dimithil shuddered at the very thought of going back into the cave, but he agreed with what Raye had said.

The two of them sat leaning against a tree and munched on lembas as Dia laid down and watched.
Raye chewed slowly as she thought of her last moments with Berethion. She missed that elf so much. Her guilt for his death still hung about her like a cloud.
Dimithil saw her pain for the loss of Berethion and immediately took pleasure in it.
"Why do you feel so bad about the death of Berethion?" he asked. "You've killed many others before and never felt guilty for their deaths. Why Berethion? What made you.....fall in love with him"
Raye did not respond.
Dimithil smirked. "Fine then. Don't answer. But in a way, I think Berethion's death is a good thing. Serves you right. You deserve to feel guilty for a change."
Raye slapped the elf hard in the face. "Remind me to tell you that when you try to kill me again and instead kill your sister," she yelled at him. "I've never met an elf as terrible as you."
Dimithil rubbed his face, restraining himself from hitting back.
"Raug," he cursed at the women, turning his back to her.
Raye glared at the elf with pure hate. She had enough of his cruelty. She would not let him go around calling her a demon.
"Auta miqula yrch," she challenged at him.
Dimithil turned around. Raye expected him to say something offensive in return, but instead his mouth dropped open.
"You know Elvish?" he asked, surprised.
"Of course I do. Why wouldn't I?" Raye laughed. "Did you expect me to be that ignorant?"
"I wouldn't go boasting about it, Raye," Dia commented. "Elvish sounds terrible when it comes out of your mouth."
"Shut up!" Raye hissed at Dia, angerly.
Dimithil stared at the woman, looking rather confused, as she had spoken aloud. Raye had the ability to hear mind speech, but she didn't know how to speak it herself.
"I didn't say anything," the elf told her.
"I wasn't speaking to you!" the woman snapped.
"Then who were you speaking to?"
"The damn wolf."
"Oh, don't you go cursing at me now," Dia said, threatening Raye.
Raye smirked. "Why shouldn't I? You creatures are no better than the dirt I walk on," she spat.
Dia growled, baring her teeth. Dimithil stared at the woman, suddenly realizing.
"Oh, no," he said. "Don't tell me you can talk to them too."
"Well, anyone can talk to wolves, you know," Raye answered. "It's the ability to hear them that I've been cursed with."