View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 06:52 AM   #4
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Inzil has already answered the question (I always think of how big a shock Gandalf must have had when he found that Belladonna Took's son now resembled a grocer more than an adventurer!), but I just wanted to pick up on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
The thing is he chooses Bilbo(seemingly) in the morning and that evening the dwarves arrive.
I remember clearly that the Unexpected Party isn't the same day as Gandalf showed up, but in my head it was several days later. I have a distinct memory of Bilbo suggesting "next Wednesday", but nope - he actually says "Come tomorrow!" So it was about a day and a half from "Good morning!" to "Dwalin at your service."

Looking through UT, it seems that (in an earlier version of the draft text) the dwarves were staying down at Bywater - presumably at the Green Dragon, given they meet Bilbo there afterwards. I have to wonder whether Gandalf actually when back to see them once he'd discovered just what Bilbo had become, or whether he sat outside brooding somewhere that Thorin couldn't find and interrogate him.

(Perhaps he rode out to visit the new Thain Fortinbras and his domineering wife Laila.)

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote