View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 02:06 AM   #574
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Indeed! Though Hurin arguably had the greater courage, staring down Morgoth and telling him he's a sorry idiot. Beren, if I recall, spent most of the time slinking in the corners or being unconscious. But still, his trip there and back again from Angband is his most famous deed.
Sure, and courage, heroism, glory, and tuppence will get you a tuppenny sweet. The Silm is really down on doing things that get you noticed, isn't it? Like, the #1 combat instruction it gives is "Don't Let The Enemy Notice You".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Over to you!
Okay, let's talk inheritance. In general, titles in Middle-earth are passed down father to son - most notably in Aragorn's family, which is pretty much a straight shot back to Silmarien. But sometimes there's a break, and a more distant relative has to take the title.

Treating each title as a separate creation (ie, Elendil is not the heir of Tar-Miriel), and looking only at titles which did not fall into abeyance along the way (ie, Aragorn did not inherit from Isildur), and ignoring non-inherited titles (ie, Mayor of the Shire), who is the most genealogically distant confirmed inheritor of a title in the history of Middle-earth?

(I've found a couple of options, but if someone can outdo them I'll be delighted.)

hS