View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #69
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It was not long before food and drink had been had by all, including Snatch. Gaffer Hugo felt satisfied, and was ready to be moving despite the wunnerful view of the Brandywine River from his big window.

He tested his ankle just a bit on the floor. It was no good. His hip was sore yet, but he figured that was a just from the ankle problem. He was not feeling dizzy anymore, food and drink had done him good. But there was no help for it, he would not be able to walk.

He called the innkeeper over and explained his predicament.

"Don't you worry, Gaffer, I'll have Burt take your Mosy off the cart an' I'll keep that cart nice and clean for you, don't even think about rent, if you'll let me use it from time to time I'll make sure it's as good as new when you get back."

"That suits me fine," Gaffer smiled. "But I didn't bring a saddle for Mosy. Have you any to spare?"

"I think I can find one, and I'll loan it to you in trade for use of your cart. What say you?"

"I'll keep you saddle as well as you'll keep my cart an' we're even," Hugo grinned. They shook on it and the innkeeper hurried off to the stables.

It was not long before Rudy and Brown had helped Hugo out to the courtyard and Mosy stood saddled up and a pack behind the saddle, and all they needed to do was hoist Hugo up into the saddle. Someone they managed it, and Hugo was up no worse for the wear. But then he had a thought.

"I forgot to pay for my lunch!"

"Don't worry," the innkeeper said, "your young man Brown here paid for everybody, including you!"

"Well I'm obliged to be sure!" Hugo said. "You make a fine new friend, Brown!"