View Single Post
Old 01-09-2004, 10:03 AM   #12
Gorthol
Animated Skeleton

Gorthol has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Gorthol
Sting

Quote:
And the quote clearly says that only Galadriel, Elrond and Cirdan knew that Gandalf had the ring.
Haven't you read the whole thread? The citat from Unfinished Tales I presented above states that Saruman knew Gandalf had it..

In Silmarillion is said:

Of the Three Rings that the Elves had preserved unsullied no open word was ever spoken among the Wise, and few even of the Eldar knew where they were bestowed. Yet after the fall of Sauron their power was ever at work, and where they abode there mirth also dwelt and all things were unstained by the griefs of time. Therefore ere the Third Age was ended the Elves perceived that the Ring of Sapphire was with Elrond, in the fair valley of Rivendell, upon whose house the stars of heaven most brightly shone; whereas the Ring of Adamant was in the Land of Lórien where dwelt the Lady Galadriel. A queen she was of the woodland Elves, the wife of Celeborn of Doriath, yet she herself was of the Noldor and remembered the Day before days in Valinor, and she was the mightiest and fairest of all the Elves that remained in Middle-earth. But the Red Ring remained hidden until the end, and none save Elrond and Galadriel and Círdan knew to whom it had been committed.

As I interpret this text, no one of the ordinary races (elves, dwarves, men) knew who had Narya except Cirdan, Galadriel and Elrond. I think Saruman could have been excluded when Tolkien wrote this, he is expressing the fact that ..and few even of the Eldar knew where they were bestowed.

The Istari part in Unfinished Tales was written in 1954, pretty late.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:15 AM January 10, 2004: Message edited by: Gorthol ]