View Single Post
Old 10-31-2002, 08:15 AM   #363
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Harad/Umbar

Urken looked the man up and down. His contact in Harad had apprised him of Jarl's interests and activities. The man was a trader, but his influence went far beyond that sphere. He'd heard the man had a nose for political intrigue and a respect for those who dealt in such things.

Urken seated himself at the table and introduced himself. Then he explained, "I am travelling now with King Fuinur. I believe you have some acquaintance with one of his retainers, a gentleman by the name of Gramil who is a master of trade and in other matters as well."

Jarl nodded his head to indicate his general assent, but like the wise man that he was, refused to give any further indication of his mission or companions.

Urken was not so circumspect. "I will be blunt. I believe that we may be of some help to each other. We plan to leave tomorrow to sail towards Minas Anor which lies just two days from here. We have two seaworthy vessels with plenty of room for passengers. I have an invitation to meet with Elessar, and I believe you may find that to your liking. I will not go into the details at this time. Only know that I will give you my confidence in the course of this voyage and upon our entry to the city."

"And who shall come on this voyage which you propose?" Jarl countered.

"My invitation is open to you and any of your friends with whom you travel. But I will be blunt one more time. Among your travelling retinue, there is one other whom I wish to meet. I believe he goes by the name Al-gareth, and is acompanied by another named Al-Hafez. I am most anxious to meet these gentlemen."

Jarl narrowed his eyes and retorted, "And this anxiety you speak of, from where does it come."

"I will not speak of that here. But I give you my word of honor that I will share these things more fully once we are in a less public arena." Urken turned and glanced around the Inn, as if he expected to see something which he feared.

At that moment, however, he broke into a smile. King Fuinur was advancing towards the table. He introduced Jarl to the King, and explained that they had travelled together. The three men spent some time sharing small confidences with each other.

At the end of the evening, Jarl saluted them in farewell, and indicated he would come to the docks tomorrow if he decided to take them up on their offer. After he left, Urken turned to Fuinur, "I believe that we need to speak with each other concerning a number of business matters. Please go ahead with your thoughts and concerns. Though I must also say, you have acquired quite a reputation in this city as one who appreciates the finer things of life, shall we say."

[ November 01, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]