View Single Post
Old 09-19-2002, 12:19 AM   #59
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

merlilot [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

as to the problem of pain, I think I can draw a quick outline.

Pain is unnatural. But considering our current situation, Man as he is is unnatural as well - Man has fallen. Consequently, as before his fall there was no pain, and afterwords there is, it must be seen as a result of it. c.f Tolkiens Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth. (HoME X)
Quote:
Yet among my people, from Wise unto Wise out of the darkness, comes the voice saying that Men are not now as they were, nor as their true nature was in their beginning
Elswhere is stated that whole essence of Arda contains some “melkorian” element, therefore is not as it ment to be, is Arda Marred.

But as it is a result of the fall, it is also the means of redeeming. It’s not clearly stated with JRRT, but implications run through (for instance, Frodo through great suffering becomes nobler than he was before)

Yet the pain is not remedy unless it’s recepient shows right attitude towards it. It’s forbidden to judge because we are not omniscient. (cf “even very wise can not see all ends” of Tolkien. Again, not written stictly about pain, but applicable in this case as well) Consider Turin’s case – his sufferings are as great as Frodo’s (or even greater), yet the end is diffferent, the reason being Turin’s pride. Strictly speaking, both of them were receiving sufferings from Dark Lord. Quite true – all suffering is Satan’s invention. but:
Quote:
(Eru to Melkor in Silm77)
And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.
After that strict samples are given of showers and fogs impossible if Melkor has not attacked water with frost, yet it’s applicable to all else as well.

The pain is direct means of redeeming in case of Boromir. How do you think he would develop if not Saruman’s orks?

I do not try to convince you that JRRT has written all the bulk of his mythologies just to express this. I only want to say it’s in one of the layers.
As a conclusion – pain is a “heavy cross”, but if considered as one of the trials of God becomes “light burden”.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!