View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dűm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I would agree about Saruman, but I think Denethor genuinely believes what he says of Gandalf. Maybe at some point in the past he convinced himself that Gandalf means no good, and at that point it would have been a deliberate misrepresentation, but now Denethor truly sees Gandalf as someone who could use him as a tool (and yes, he could use him as a tool) and who isn't trustworthy.
This is most obvious when Denethor has fallen into madness:
‘Hope on then!’ laughed Denethor. ‘Do I not know thee, Mithrandir? Thy hope is to rule in my stead, to stand behind every throne, north, south, or west. I have read thy mind and its policies. Do I not know that you commanded this halfling here to keep silence? That you brought him hither to be a spy within my very chamber? And yet in our speech together I have learned the names and purposes of all thy companions. So! With the left hand thou wouldst use me for a little while as a shield against Mordor, and with the right bring up this Ranger of the North to supplant me.

‘But I say to thee, Gandalf Mithrandir. I will not be thy tool! I am Steward of the House of Anárion. I will not step down to be the dastard chamberlain of an upstart. Even were his claim proved to me, still he comes but of the line of Isildur. I will not bow to such a one, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship and dignity.’
That Gandalf is indeed ready to support Aragorn’s claim is proof to Denethor that Gandalf cannot be trusted. At the least, Denethor might think, Gandalf should have been open and honest about his support of Aragorn. But Gandalf has not been so and has forbidden Pippin to speak of Aragorn to Denethor.

As Treebeard has said, “I am not altogether on anybody’s side, because nobody is altogether on my side, if you understand me.”

Denethor is very plain about what being on his side means:
‘I would have things as they were in the days of my life,’ answered Denethor, ‘and in the days of my longfathers before me: to be the Lord of the City in peace, and leave my chair to a son after me, who would be his own master and no wizard’s pupil. But if doom denies this to me, then I will have naught: neither life diminished, nor love halved, nor honour abated.’
And, indeed, Denethor follows his declared path to his death, in part because has been deceived by Sauron, but only in part.
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote