View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 02:55 PM   #35
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Shouldn't the 'd' in Galadriel be pronounced with a slight 'th' sound and not with a hard 'd'? Like /ga-LATH-ri-yel/ ? Just asking. Because Christopher Tolkien says it's /METH-ros/ for Maedhros...
No, it shouldn't be, because there is no 'h'. 'dh' should be pronounced, according to Appendix E, like
Quote:
the voiced (soft) th of English these clothes
Also, Eärendil should be pronounced like Ay-AH-ren-deal, according to Ardalambion, which tends to be highly reliable. Cate Blanchet totally mutilates this in the movie.

Personally, I am very annoyed over the pronunciation of Sméagol in the movies as SMEE-gull. Éomer and Éowyn are pronounced like AY-oh-mer and AY-oh-win, which I agree with, so by the same logic, Sméagol should be pronounced like SMAY-uh-goll ("goll" rhyming with "doll"). Anyway, since I am not an expert on this by any means, please visit Ardalambion and download their excellent Quenya lessons, which have a good pronounciation guide. Also Fellowship of the Word-smiths is quite helpful for linguistic questions.