View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 06:57 AM   #28
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
How the mouth of Sauron is taken out I'm not quite sure though. It has been a while since I read ROTK. PJ may handle it a different way.
In answer to this from page 201 of the weapons and warfare book by chris smith
Quote:
Sauron sent out his chief emissary, the Lieutenant of the Black Tower, to parley with them. Perhaps this act was intended as a final humiliation to his most feared adversary before he was crushed by the might of Sauron's host, but Aragorn instead dealt out justice to this Mouth of Sauron who had attempted to deceive him with his poisoned words
and on the next page regarding the Mouth of Sauron
Quote:
His final parley was with Aragorn, who concluded negotiations in decisive fashion, proving that his weapon was stronger than his opponent's
I read a couple of things into this. I think this means we'll have a fight, and that the MoS will 'deceive' Aragorn, ie tell him that Frodo is dead.

PS on the page before we have a clue as to where we will see Aragorn confront Sauron via the palantir. It states that Aragorn reveals himself to Sauron to let him know he is sending a troop towards the black gate for battle (a couple of days before het sets out from Minas Tirith) i.e. not in dunharrrow.
Quote:
Did you notice that when "the lighthouse of Morodor" crushed down, also the towers at the black gate collapsed? Why? All that was made by Sauron and the ring should have broken then but the towers weren't made by Sauron!
The Towers collapsed in the movie because they did so in the book. That is good enough for me!!!
Quote:
And even as he spoke the earth rocked beneath their feet. Then rising swiftly up, far above the Towers of the Black Gate, high above the mountains, a vast soaring darkness sprang into the sky, flickering with fire. The earth groaned and quaked. The Towers of the Teeth swayed, tottered, and fell down; the mighty rampart crumbled; the Black Gate was hurled in ruin; and from far away, now dim, now growing, now mounting to the clouds, there came a drumming rumble, a roar, a long echoing roll of ruinous noise.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote