View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 07:00 AM   #34
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

This is a great discussion, and I've really enjoyed reading it. I'd like to contribute more fully when I am less busy, but in the meantime, I'd like to toss in this quote from RotK.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Then it seemed to Gimli and Legolas who were nearby that she wept, and in one so stern and proud that seemed the more grievous. But she said: ‘Aragorn, wilt thou go?’<P>‘I will,’ he said.<P>‘Then wilt thou not let me ride with this company, as I have asked?’<P>‘I will not, lady,’ he said. ‘For that I could not grant without leave of the king and of your brother; and they will not return until tomorrow. But I count now every hour, indeed every minute. Farewell!’<P>Then she fell on her knees, saying: ‘I beg thee!’<P>‘Nay, lady,’ he said, and taking her by the hand he raised her. Then he kissed her hand, and sprang into the saddle, and rode away, and did not look back; and only those who knew him well and were near to him saw the pain that he bore.<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I would also like to ask you all - given what PJ has done with Aragorn and Eowyn in the film TTT, is it possible that this scene could be played convincingly, as it is written, in his version of RotK? <BR>Is Miranda Otto's Eowyn "so stern and proud" that to see her weep would be all the "more grievous"? Has the PJ Aragorn/Eowyn relationship maintained the boundaries of formality, that would make her falling to her knees and begging him to take her with him as shocking and moving as it is in the text? Is Viggo's Aragorn 'noble' enough to portray the shame, the pity and pain Tolkien's Aragorn feels about Eowyn's unrequited love?<BR>I don't think so, unfortunately.