View Single Post
Old 02-20-2003, 06:40 PM   #3
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wlecome to the Downs, that is one heck of a first post! I think you have found the right place. Kudos.<P>However, I do not agree with your assumptions regarding Aragorn, and that is a major premise in your analysis. It is quite clear to me that Aragorn never made any move or spoke any words, that could be construed as being either of the romantic type or the the forbiddenl/physical type, towards Eowyn. Rather I see it as Eowyn misinterpreting her own feelings, and possibly misinterpreting Aragorn's. Most definitely Aragorn understands his own, and even has some understanding of the nature of Eowyn's.<P>On a more base level, quite apart from any kind of romance, she is young, 23 years young. She has been surrounded by duties and restrictions her entire life, not to mention caring for a weakened old man, King or not makes no difference. This girl is trapped in more ways than one and weakens in the knees at the royal and bravery of Aragorn. This is a new encounter for her, something never before seen and in a time of great turmoil, and it's a chance she does not want to let escape. In my opinion.<P>Let's explore her duty now. Did she follow Aragorn through the Paths of the Dead? No. Why? It's obvious that she can break orders in a pinch, and it is clear that she has feelings (rather undeveloped but still present) for him. She did not need to stay with her people, there were others that could have handled the duties of caring for the people if needed. Eowyn wanted Aragorn to stay with her, not to leave. I think this is an important distinction. Even if this state of weak-kneed urgency, she was in a sense realizing her place was not by Aragorn's side.<P>Enter Theoden King. He too orders her to stay behind, yet here she decides to risk breaking orders (her King's orders no less) and go towards the duty she feels called upon to honor. More profound in this instance are those needs, the love of Theoden, the sense of purpose. Quite clearly this is the correct path, but she is young; Eowyn is not battle hardened and world weary, and cannot see the forest for the trees. Disregarding her youth and it's influence for a moment, people do not just shake off the remnants of a life of restriction and repressed emotions in the blink of an eye, or in Eowyn's case even with the death of a Witch-King, which she seemingly cared little of at the time. <P>And if I mix in even a little more personal opinion - Eowyn holding on to her undeveloped, misinterpreted feelings regarding Aragorn, as demonstrated by her initial talks with Faramir, shows her as a person who holds pain close to her. Almost like she derives comfort from it. Thank Eru that Faramir finally was able to wrest some of that away and replace it with warmth. And what is the first thing she does? Proclaims her destiny as a healer!! Amazing. It's really a great subplot of rebirth - not love - in which Aragorn is but a piece.<P>You noted about the swordfight and Aragorn and Eowyn seeming as equals. This is the ONLY time that is visible and only in the movies. Aragorn and Eowyn are nowhere near equals save perhaps in the bravery department (but even that is iffy) and should not be portrayed as such. Now that you mention it they did the same thing with Arwen in the movie, sneaking up behind him with a sword. That was a bad portrayal as well, for the same reason, he is a warrior of the finest caliber, she is not. <P>I could write all day apparently, haha, but I'll stop now or no one will read the whole thing! <P>Cheers, I hope you find this take interesting,<BR>Tar <P>Ps- this kind of thread can be placed in the Books section.<p>[ February 20, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote