View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I can remember only a few avatars I've had besides iSnape (which was chosen purely because it made me laugh): a photoshopped version of a charcoal sketch of a rose, a portrait of the Watchmen character Rorschach... Actually, that's all I can remember having. I'm sure I've had more, but none come easily to mind.

I have difficulty switching from avatar to avatar because I don't recognize 'myself' without the right combinations of text and image. Right now my Barrowdowns persona is a green square. If I changed it to red, it would throw me off.

I know there is one thing I bear in mind with all avatars: I like the backgrounds to blend seamlessly with the background of the forum, so I choose dark images, or manipulate them to become dark. I seem to remember once I may have had a galaxy, and I think for a time I had a fractal.

I've been thinking lately it's time for a change, but nothing has stood out for me. On a forum where people tend to retain your picture more quickly than your name (how many werewolf games have had people saying, "Wow, for a second I thought X said it, because Y has a very similar avvie"?), it's a conscious decision of how I care to be perceived.

I'm always fascinated by the images people choose to represent themselves. We (many of us, at least) live in a hyper-visual culture. The imagery we create tells a story about perhaps our passions, at the very least our aesthetic tendencies.

Nog: you are, in my head, an owl.

Wilwa is a blue butterfly.

The phantom is what he's always been, and The Barrow-Wight is a little green ghost.

Heren is fireworks, Kath is The X-Files. Greenie is green.

Some people can switch avatars all they want and I'll never notice. Other people I have come to identify by their pictures.

I wonder if that says more about my psychology or theirs.