View Single Post
Old 08-23-2003, 04:03 PM   #38
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Kiatus stopped his hand in mid-air at the sound of the tremorous voice. It was a crazed madman rushing at them, skin pale and face gaunt.

And then Kiatus recognized the figure, his old friend. A cold ball of fear thudded in his stomach and he moved his hand to his head, pulling at his straggly straw hair. He tried first to call out.

"Halasan, Halasan, I am thankful to see you here," a strange tenseness making his voice irregular and hollow. But the raised sword immediately changed his mind.

Immediately he stepped back, grabbing Catrina tightly towards him and pulling her behind the saddlebags, searching for a route to escape. Then he pulled out his knife, held it to her throat, and stood his ground. Catrina shrieked.

"Threaten me more and the girl is lost."

Halag, catching up to the feverish man, pulled him away, holding the sword, playing for a few moments' time to consider a strategy.

Kiatus held the struggling girl tighter and backed away as the Innkeeper ran off, calling desperately for the Guards. The edge of the knife made a strange necklace as it pressed against Catrina's neck, the point almost pricking her as she struggled.

Halasan called out, "Catrina, Catrina, hear me. I beg you. I'm sorry."

The sound of the voice and the words penetrated the fear which fogged the girl's mind. She stopped her struggling and looked up at the man she had once known as father.

In this figure she could not recognize her father, so changed was he, so crazed too the look in his eye. In one moment she understood his love and then his urgent sense of revenge. How to make amends for her folly? She could not speak, only act.

At the instant, she made her move, hooking her foot behind Kiatus's left leg and pushing herself back against him, a move he had not anticipated. He fell backwards, sprawling and pulling her over as well before losing his grip on her.

She rolled over and over, off to the side, and scrambled up to put as much distance as possible between her and the man she had once thought was her love.

At the first sign of the two figures falling, Halasan had shook off Haleg's restraining hand, and moved in towards Kiatus.