View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #47
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have a sense that many of us are holding our breath. I certainly have been.

Here in no particular order are some observations and reactions -

This is a good set up for people with dodgy reputations, like, say, the phantom and, it must be said, me. Even if we are killed preemptively because we aren't trusted, we will have an active role to play; one of the reasons I was won over to this renaissance...

Nogrod, as you probably remember I'm always uncomfortable with the term nonsense; although admittedly, as we seem to agree, there has been chatter, I object to it not because it's irrelevant but because it's relevant and quite dangerous, being about Lovers etc.

The kind of nonsense I like - roles, hallo, yeargh, I be the village blacksmith etc - is not actually very much in evidence because we haven't picked roles. That said, I'm glad to find myself a First-Age Elf. I'm a follower of the House of Feanor. Obviously. I was carrying a message from Maedhros to Fingon and got mixed up in this ill-conceived patrol...

...still, fine, Nogrod, I accept that you are of the "stiff-lipped House of Finnwe", and prefer strategy on the whole to egregious colour. As a result Boromir's suspicion of you as a spinner seems, for the present, a bit too easy and a bit too tempting. Not that I suspect Boromir that much yet.

I'm not really of the school of thought that believes in giving such specific advice as you do to the Gifteds, though. Best pretend they don't exist, let them do their stuff cloak and daggered, ideally don't mention them until eight people are claiming to be the Seer and all that jazz.

A minor contribution to the interpretation of the Byzantine rules - it sounds to me like the spirits in Mandos do get told about cobblers; as in, they get told whether the ones they vote for are Elf or Wolf-aligned. But I agree it isn't very clear. I'd appreciate mod-Valar elucidation, but maybe that's a matter for the Dead Thread, not the Arda radar (ouch).

What happens if we kill all the wolves and there are still cobblers? (I feel cobbler is hardly the appropriate term for an Elven former cavalryman under minor possession!) We win, but we need an exorcist?

Oh, suspicions? Mith. How could you be so callous about my noble steed...sausages, for shame...

Real suspicions? I still don't feel any would be that rational. It's a striking fact, though, that there are an unusual quantity of evil voices here. Six out of twenty is almost one in three...every third contributor, alternately fanged and shod? Ok, Glirdan, Boromir and one other are wolves and Nerwen is a cobbler... ((by the way, this is a joke. It's also probably an inaccurate one. I really can't count.))