View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #70
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
So, as you see, I finally posted the bio I've been drying here for ages... Figured out it would be the easiest to add the few finishing touches if I just post it here. The original idea, as mentioned on the old thread, was to have Stefnu come with the intention (her intention, at least) to eventually marry Áforglaed, one of Athanar's men who stayed behind. But I decided to let it develop on its own, now she is freshly widowed and it mostly serves as one more incentive for her to appear (and to be received, having met many of the men - not just Athanar's! - before).

Now, my dilemma is thus - whether I let her come to Scarburg together with the caravan (snows have melted, now she feels okay to travel) or (I might have slight preference for that one at the moment) that she came sometime after her husband's death, basically after realising she can't really cope on her own, I'm envisioning a lonely voyage through the snow with a sack of whatever provisions she had left in her home. Given that husband might have owned decent supply of some "exotic" food thanks to his profession, she would have perhaps even something small to bring to the Hall with her which she would dig up from her husband's hidden personal store, sad leftovers of what they hadn't eaten already. Of course it would be of little help to the amount of people in the Hall, but in such conditions... it would probably also ease her acceptance to the Hall. She would then gladly take on any tasks required to contribute. Speaking of which...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
3) Speaking of which, I think we may have some rather important positions even unfilled. (Especially, for example, if we don't have Frodides/Kara as the cooks anymore.) Thoughts? What positions are there in the Mead Hall that should be filled by an NPC, an old character getting a promotion or that should be acknowledged to be open? (For example again, if the Mead Hall doesn't have a cook. I'm sure the household women would manage, but they do have a lot to do already with the child-rearing - if there are children, though, and not just a bunch of teenagers - and cleaning and assisting Saeryn and serving and generally seeing the domestic affairs in Scarburg run smoothly.)
...just looking at Stefnu's bio, I realised her CV could qualify her for example for the cooking and similar tasks. I did not intend her position to be that, in the beginning, but if it is something we are looking for, it actually seems she could fit neatly in there.

But yes, with that said, if I go with variant B (her being in the Hall for a few months already, during the winter), it possibly might be easier, people would be assumed to know her, even though still little enough so that all the relationships could be basically built from scratch. That would both give us the option of genuine relationship-building without the need to pre-invent anything and at the same time spare us the first encounters "Hi, what is your name" which might just be tedious if there would be a lot of new characters anyway...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories