View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #172
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
"What do you think of them as a rule, then, Aldarion," Sador asked, "the troupe, I mean? Any particular friends, wits, folk of quality? What about that rather striking girl with her machinery...has she bewitched your fancy now and then...?"

Aldarion paused to consider what sort of answer he should give. Complete honesty was out of the question- he hardly knew Sador. But the man was pleasant and appeared to have good tastes, and also seemed willing to help, and so Aldarion thought it would be an acceptable gamble to let out one or two little tidbits for Sador to think about.

"The King's Players... They are... a work in progress," began Aldarion. "I do not believe that any of the members are without talent. Our regular leading man Branor- though one could hardly tell from watching most of our performances, he is capable of playing about any sort of character. The problem is he nearly always gets a ridiculous idea of what a character is. I can tell the rest of the troop is often with me in thinking he is over the top, but for some reason they won't help me get him under control. I still do not understand the dynamics that exist between them, I think."

Sador made no sign of interrupting, so Aldarion continued. "The Therian situation is odd as well. I think he could flourish under the right circumstances, but his personality and attitudes don't help him at all. If you haven't noticed a particular flaw of his, rest assured you soon will." Aldarion sighed. "Therian has yet to learn that half of theater is politics behind the curtain." Aldarion had learned that lesson all too well.

"Now Sereth- I think she probably has more talent than anyone when it comes to playing roles. Some members of the troop are rather protective of her, so I have not had much opportunity to work with her one on one, but I've done what I can with her lines and roles. I am quite interested in her future."

"And the mechanically inclined girl?" prodded Sador.

Aldarion took a drink to gain a moment for thought. Why does Sador wish to learn my opinion of Asta so badly? His original question was directed at her to be certain, and I was getting there eventually, but it seems he couldn't wait? Hmmm... I ought to be guarded on this subject until I know more.

"Yes, Asta," said Aldarion. "She speaks of her father's technical brilliance, and credits him with much of the equipment that we use, but she sells herself short in doing so. Some of the things I have witnessed her rigging up- I can tell you that she would have been more than welcome in The Swan Players' company with her skills."