View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 12:18 AM   #396
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Both Ishkur and Gwerr lay in a crumpled heap at the bottom of the pit, too groggy to answer or to try and loosen the bonds of the other orcs. Soon after Makdush was hurled into the cell, the wooden grate was again thrown open. This time, the tall Elf and two of his companions lowered themselves down on ropes, binding Ishkur and Gwerr with tight leather straps and rope. The uruk and the two orcs were thrown against the cave wall and their leather straps secured to metal rings. Finally, the three jailors were again pulled up to the surface. The pit was silent and black, but no darker than the feeling of rage and frustration that assaulted Ishkur's mind.

By this time, he was awake and miserable. Ishkur wished he had never suggested helping anyone. He should have listened to Gwerr. Next time, if there was a next time, he must be more careful. He called out to Makdush and Gwerr and to anyone else in the pit who was awake, "I hate elves. Those monstors must each have ten pairs of eyes and ears. This one knew we were coming. He knew it before we even got to the pit. His men were sitting up waiting for us." Ishkur kicked at the wall in frustration and felt the leather strap pull tight against his side and prevent him from moving any further.

There was another reason why Ishkur was angry but he wasn't going to tell anyone. He didn't know how or when but he had seen that pushy elf before. He was sure of it. Probably they had fought on some distant battlefield, but he couldn't remember anything more. He covered his feeling of uneasiness by snarling at the others, "If they drag us out of here to get us to talk, I'll say nothing. At least nothing important. I'll hang my head and play along with their game. But I won't believe anything they say or promise. They're all liars. And at the last minute, when I have a chance, I'll make them pay. If I go down, some of them are going with me." There were growls of agreement from every corner of the pit.

Ishkur slumped against the hard stone rock. Strangely enough, what he thought about were the women and young ones who were still loose on the outside. Maybe they'll get away, he reflected. Yeah, sure....and maybe they'll sprout wings and turn into balrogs. That utterly ridiculous suggestion of women sticking out their noises to help the men made him grimace. It would never happen. Women were useless. They couldn't fight and had no sense of standing beside a buddy. Yet Ishkur still regretted the loss of his hunting lodge and the women lined up to wait on him. When he finally slept, there were no dreams, only an empty black hole.

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 05-30-2007 at 12:24 AM.