View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 07:06 AM   #217
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Lin rose late on the morning of the Fair, morning sunlight streaming through the windows of her room. Cheerfully she thought through all she hoped to do that day, as she stretched luxuriously in the soft linens of the bed. Her tapestries had been hung the day before, by Léof, walking carefully on his injured foot, with young Garmund hanging in his shadow.

The sunlight promised a beautiful spring day, and she rose and dressed in light linens, singing a lullaby in Adunaic in a light, high voice. She slipped out of her corner room and danced cheerfully down the hallway and down the stairs. There was a small crowd gathered by a room on the first floor, one that Lin didn't think had been occupied (even by the hosts of nameless merchants that had been filling all the corners the past few days), but she slipped past and outdoors, heading for the kitchen-tent. A picnic, that's what she needed. She'd go outside the walls to where the Fair was set up and explore the booths and events she'd seen merchants setting up over the past few days, and bring a picnic basket from the Hall.

Garwine was already in the kitchen, and she could hear the sounds of Garstan working on the hearth chimney outside, which was taking beautiful shape despite her initial doubts. She said a cheerful good morning to Garwine, who returned it with a friendly wave, his mouth full of hot bread. A small basket was quickly procured from a cabinet, and Garwine cut her a wedge of the cheese when he got some for himself. She found the ham from the night before and cut off a few slices, and added a few of the fresh rolls on the table. All this she wrapped in a napkin and packed into her basket before leaving the kitchen in the direction of the sounds of Garstan's work, with a wave at Garwine, who was leaving the other way.

"Garstan?" she said loudly, over the high ringing of his chisel. "Garstan!" The man finally heard her, and set down his tools, turning a face covered in rock dust to her.

"Yes, Lady?" he answered, with a respectful nod.

Lin smiled at him, the basket hanging by her side. "Master Garstan, today is the first day of the horse fair, as I'm sure you know." He nodded, and Lin continued. "It looks to be beautiful out, and I thought I would attend the festivities. I wondered if I might have the loan of your daughter for the day. I am sure she'd enjoy getting out of the hall, and I would be glad of her cheerful company."

The influx of so many from the countryside was keeping the Hall's staff busy, and Lin had noticed the little girl seemed to feel mostly underfoot, as her father was working and her brother helping Léof in the stable. Lin herself had had the same feeling. Her friend Saeryn had been kept hopping, Kara had barely left the kitchen, and Aedhel had been helping Kara, when she wasn't in Meduseld working on her new lessons. Most of the men were also busy at their own duties, Marenil at a host of self-appointed tasks...Lin couldn't keep up with all he'd been doing. Only Manawyth and Degas had had any time to spare, really, and the language barrier made long discussions with Manawyth difficult, as they were both translating everything mentally. Degas...was Degas, and Lin was still cautiously trying out her 'ignore him' advice, doing her best to look exceedingly busy whenever he came near.

Last edited by JennyHallu; 04-16-2006 at 05:33 PM.