View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 04:20 PM   #311
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Gilly

While it was true the hobbit had seen a few hills in her day, she had never come across any such as these. Incomparably high and menacing they were in her opinion, hard and cruel. And she fancied that the mountains must themselves be in league with that wretched elf, to shield such a wicked thing in their rugged arms, keeping Naiore’s pursuers from gaining so much as a glimpse of Miss Benia no matter how fast they had pushed themselves along the hateful pass. As they had worked their way twisting through the heights she had been painfully aware that Dúlrain would likely have been able to travel faster, if not for Mr. Longholes and herself, but imagined that he still was traveling far faster than the elves would have recommended, had they foreseen what was to befall their patient. So fearing that the wound tended to in Rivendell might not be fully healed, she had struggled along admonishing poor Longholes, who watched diligently for orcs that might trail them. Gilly prodded him to hurry, as she tried to keep the ranger in sight. In less urgent times it might have been good for Dúlrain to stop and wait for the hobbits, thereby resting himself, but as it was, it would not do to have him double back to find them. Miss Benia could not afford to have the two hobbits prove a burden to the man, slowing his progress. And without the ranger Gilly saw little hope of finding, let alone recovering Miss Benia from the Ravennor’s keeping. All her hope lay solely in his hands.

Exhausted from their long and steady ascent into the mountains, and the rush to put distance between themselves and the orcs, Gilly reluctantly admitted that she could not go any further without at least a brief rest, for both she and her fellow hobbit had become quite winded in trying to match the ranger’s pace. And now that they had stopped, she could not bring herself to put one foot before the other, let alone attend to making what she had come to call ‘a proper camp’, even though Dúlrain had permitted them a fire against the cold. Her legs had become leaden and her mind just as dull, as she eyed the cave they entered with gloomy suspicion. How could a descent person be expected to rest in the shelter of such a cold conspirator as this mountain! And when Miss Benia was in such straights! Gilly shuttered as she watched Mr. Longholes strike a fire to life, fostering the flame that would defy the cold darkness oppressing Gilly’s already flagging spirits. Where was Miss Benia now that they were sitting idle, and what must she be enduring?

When Toby had finished, shifting back onto to his heels he held out his hands testing the heat of the fire, and saw that Gilly sat considering him in the dim light. In truth she was trying to find the words to ask him what he knew of Naiore Dannan, but could not bring herself to seek an answer. And so she sat mute and staring.

“I can’t think for the life of me what the Ravennor of Mordor would want with her, Mr. Longholes!” Gilly finally managed. “I can’t understand it at all. The world barely knows that she walks these lands, so lightly she passes, harming no one, so far as I know of. What use could taking her be? Any way I look at it, it seems bad for my friend. Either that elf has some plan for her or none at all, and that might be even more dangerous!”

Toby looked up, “I don’t claim to know her mind, you know,” he explained, “but to be sure she has her reasons. She is seems fond of efficiency if naught else. If she has carried her this far over the mountains, she’s some reason for it.”

Gilly shook her head before sadly resting her forehead on the palm of one hand.

“If it’s any consolation, I think she’s got too much on her plate at the moment to trouble your friend much, what with her plans all gone awry.”

“Oh Mr. Longholes, you are a dear for trying to ease my mind, but I suspect that you believe your words even less than I. You must have had a very good reason to risk leaving her, hadn’t you? I won’t ask. I’d be too afraid of what you might have to say, but I think that it must have been a real eye opener, to have you take up with the king’s rangers, given your standing with in Bree.”

Toby looked to where Dúlrain had posted himself at the mouth of the cave. “I know that she looked for their deaths before I left,” he whispered. “And I tell you I’d have none of it!”

Gilly lifted her head following his glance, “Who, the rangers? Gracious, lets have no more of that, please! No more killing of any kind.”

“While I heartily agree, I must make a small exception these orcs," he said smiling as the light reflected in his eyes.

“That does my heart good to hear,” Gilly said. “For I have learned to appreciate what it is the rangers do, first hand. And a better group you’d be hard pressed to find, even in Bywater, never mind Bree.”

After some time the conversation lagged, each lost in their own thoughts. And by the time Gilly felt herself able to think again of a bite to eat, she found that Toby had fallen asleep, his back to the cave wall. But Dúlrain still remained at the cave’s entrance. He turned his head slightly as the hobbit approached offering to take over the watch. Declining the offer, both remained sleepless waiting for dawn to color the sky.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 12-20-2004 at 11:43 AM.