View Single Post
Old 05-30-2004, 01:28 PM   #255
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Rauthain

Rauthain and Avanill stood watching as Amandur, his dark mood now unexpectedly lifted, strode easily up the path ahead of them, the old ranger dwelling on what was said in his parting. It would indeed be a gift to have a chance to start anew, as Avanill now had with them, one that he himself had much longed for in earlier days. But pushing aside his own self-reproach, Rauthain determined to help Avanill along the way as much as he safely could. Turning to the young man he addressed him, “It looks as though we will be traveling together for many leagues then. And so long as you keep to the path laid out for us, know that I will do all I can to support and defend you. But it would bring much relief to all, and perhaps Amandur also, if you were to allow me to bear your satchel for you. You should not be tempted to test such things in our presence, until that time when they may be used against the Ravennor.”

Avanill made no move concede to this wish, but fixed Rauthain with his impassive eyes. And after a pause the old ranger stretched out his arm gesturing with two long fingers for the young man to surrender his pack. “I assure you, I will keep it safe for you,” he said, “and will not touch its contents, for I do not know what to make of them.” And seeing Avanill remained unconvinced he continued. “Surely you will trust me for so little a thing. Let us not start out in such a way. But we must work as one force if we are to accomplish our aim.”

Slowly, the young man removed the satchel from off his shoulder, as if he had decided which road to take after much careful consideration, and held it out to the ranger. “Be careful with it then, for it might as well be filled with the rich findings of a dragon’s hoard, so rare it’s elements.”

“If half of what you have told us is true, then be sure I do not wish to disrupt the things of your craft, for they will prove useful to us in the end, and it would be folly to tamper with them,” he said slinging the pack gingerly over one shoulder. But let us go now, for I still have not seen what has become of Dúlrain, and would speak with him. And perhaps the elves might see to your hurts as well, if you were to ask it of them.”

And together they left the garden, bound for the place of healing, and the chamber that held Dúlrain. When at last they found him, Rauthain saw that the southern woman was still at the wounded ranger’s side, silent and mopping his brow. But as he drew closer and saw the ranger’s face, which had been turned toward the woman, he quickly grew alarmed to see him now unconscious and with a pallor that denoted great loss of blood. Frowning he looked to Benia. “What has befallen him, dear lady, for was not he mending well when I met you last in the Lonelands? And now he is sleeping in midday, and so wan he looks?”

“Truly, it seemed he was mending, but we were hard pressed by orcs, and in helping all in our company to cross the river this has happened, his deep wound opening and a fever setting in. But he is improving,” she said looking long upon the sleeping man. “And Lady Léspheria has said that he will recover.” But Rauthain could see in the woman’s face the traces of concern and hope she had this would be the outcome, for the lovely eyes held a plaintive look and her delicate brow raised, hinting of present care.

Ah worthy woman! the older ranger thought to himself. Does she not know that this is the fate of all that would give their heart to one who would wander as a ranger? Then becoming conscious that he was staring at the scene before him, lost among his own memories, he quickly looked to Avanill. “If the Lady Léspheria has said that he will be well once again, I would not doubt it. For she is an elf maiden of many strengths and not the least of them in healing.”

“She and many here have aided him in his need, and for that I am grateful,” Benia said, drawing Rauthain’s attention once more.

“He is a good man, and deserving of much, as are many of my brethren.” Rauthain said tuning to meet her gaze. “And I should be glad if he were to be able to continue on in his duty, for Kaldir sake as well my own. But though it is in the blood of my people to be quickly restored, I do not think even the elves could work this recovery in such short a time. But of these things I know little, only that they have great skill in the art.”

“But look here, surely his color has improved, even since we arrived,” Avanill declared, carefully studying the patient’s features.

“Has it? That is happy news, is it not?” the old ranger said, brightening. “Then if you will excuse us, we shall leave you now and will come again, perhaps tomorrow, to see your charge’s progress. For there is much to be done before we can leave.” And wishing the lady well, the two returned to the corridor searching out a place to bathe and bandage Avanill’s injuries before heading again to the rangers’ dwelling and the stables. For Rauthain was eager to find a way to send Juta north again to the horse’s master, and sought fresh horses for them both.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 06-15-2004 at 10:17 AM.