View Single Post
Old 12-01-2002, 09:28 PM   #58
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

A companionable silence fell over the three as they sat and drank. After a while, Menelduliniel and Estelarion began a quiet conversation on their side of the table, which Susan politely ignored.

She casually glanced around the inn. Most of the audience that had gathered when she told the story of Erana had dispersed, but there was one left, she saw now. A Man, sitting at the next table, watching her with eyes as blue as the midsummer sky before a thunderstorm. She could see that he was young, though she'd never been good at discerning the ages of Men. He stared at her for a moment longer, then deliberately looked away, as if he'd lost interest. She shrugged. After a moment, however, a voice came quietly from his direction, "Tell another story, Lady Elf."

She turned toward him, eyes hooded. "Young Man, I am not a teller of tales but a gatherer. If you have a story, by all means speak up and I will gladly make a record of it."

He leaned back, seeming surprised. He looked thoughtful for a moment, then said, "I know the story you mentioned. "The Hunter's Bow". My family's told it for generations."

She looked at him directly for the first time. "How could you? You're not Haradrim and you certainly weren't around when I was there. That was...a very long time ago."

He chuckled a little, then stood up and headed for the bar. "Wouldn't you like to know?" He murmered as he passed the table.

Susan stared after him, open mouthed in astonishment, then looked down to meet Menelduliniel's gently amused smile. Estelarion was still watching him at the bar.
Menelduliniel took a drink of her ale. "Now there's a strange one, and no question," She commented.