View Single Post
Old 09-03-2003, 02:28 PM   #57
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

It was late that night. So late that even the obligatory late-night partying of the Sorethighhim, and the even later-night partying of the Gallowship, had finally subsided into silence. All was quiet, except for a soothing melody that drifted through Improvas from an undisclosed location.

All slept in the city. The music continued. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, the music shifted. It took on a note of unease, almost of growing danger. Perhaps not all the city slept after all.

A small but rather stout shadow slipped behind a building. A moment later a much larger shadow slunk (actually trundled is probably a better word) past. This second shadow took several moments to pass by. The tempo of the music picked up just a bit.

With almost depressing predictability someone’s greed had become inflamed at the sight of the golden roof of the hall on the hill and they were determined to filch a few tiles. Late that night they stole out of the inn (and stole is the right word for it because somebody stuck his claws into the till before they left, while out in the stables somebody else was carefully lifting some of the valuables of the inn’s other customers) and they started sneaking up the hill.

Now there was a decided note of menace in the music and the tempo continued to increase.

The two shadows reached the wall at the top of the hill that protected the Golden Music Hall. The larger shadow leaned against the wall and the small shadow climbed up the large shadow and over the wall. The bigger shadow followed.

The music became downright threatening.

A few minutes later the two shadows were on the roof of the hall looking for a likely spot to begin their operation. They huddled together for a moment to confer. The music brought to mind an image of a great predator about to pounce on its helpless prey.

There was a pause, almost as if the music was holding its breath waiting for the worst to happen.

The air was split by a furious cry…

"GOLD-PAINTED TILES!!!!" shrieked a voice.

A massive choir suddenly erupted in full-throat, howling out a horrifying piece of music calculated to raise goosebumps and twist the spine.

"AYYYYIIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!" yelped the two shadows on the roof, scared into next week.

"Oh Great!!!" yelled one voice. "Now I have to change my pants!!!"

"I could have lived my entire life without knowing that!!" shouted another.

*CRASH* *BOOM* went the roof as it collapsed under their weight.

"Pawh, Hawh, Hawh, Hawh, Hawh, Hawh, Hawh…" went the choir (and from the sound of things most of the orchestra too.)