View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #278
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
A number of things have come together - I'm back working from home, and I've acquired a better video editing program* - and have led me to consider upgrading from 'digital sketch' to 'pencil-coloured portraits'.
Cel'n'Cur look absolutely amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
*The new software is OpenShot, which has - gasp! - layers. Which means I can shift the 'assembly' stage from image editing to video editing, and can insert revised artwork much easier.
Not 100% sure what that actually means, but I'm excited for it! I will go poke our Captivity singers to see how things are going on that end.

Meanwhile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I think almost all versions of the Oath come out as closer to a hard rock/heavy metal feel; it reminds me very much of Nightfall (which may not be a coincidence). It's angry... proud... defiant might be the best word. This is the Sons of Feanor casting their Oath into the face of the Light and Dark alike and daring anyone to stand against them. ("Light and Dark can both be damned!"...)

Just don't ask me how to put that into music. ^_~
Ok, this helped - to a point. I think I got as far as angry, but not sure that I managed to reach defiant. That might require yet another take. But here is what came out this time. Continued feedback and mood tips would be very appreciated. This one is clearly a bit of a struggle.

The thing is, I can't write it in hard rock/heavy metal genre. It's just not a genre I feel I can do, even if I figured out how to score the right instruments. I don't actually know what I'm doing most of the time, just going by what feels right, and I have no feels in the realm of metal to go off of. So I'm also simultaneously transposing it onto a more classical instrument assembly - like having the piano take over the role of percussion. I got some surprise inspiration with - you'd never guess - the fast theme from the score of How To Train Your Dragon. It also has a strong bass/sax section, and lots of triplets, so there was some unwilling association. I am hoping that by cleaning up the volume a little bit you'd be able to hear the melody a little bit better; right now everything is kinda set between "loud" and "very loud", so it's hard to make out the notes that are supposed to stand out in that soup no matter how much I accent them.