View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 01:54 AM   #271
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Yessssss!!! I love it! It's so good! I watched it several times now. The whole thing is flipping fantastic. It made me really happy. I love the Faithful, and how they disappear one by one.
^_^ And don't worry, the last one to go is saved as Edrahil in my files.

Quote:
I like the volume. Whatever it does, it makes sense with the music, which also gets louder and quieter.

I think the only off-key place that really needs a second take is Finrod's "I've been a proud king" section, because it's several notes on a prominent stretch of melody. Possibly Sauron's "I feel ill at ease --> fell", which has a couple of spots. Otherwise, nothing major. I like both your Finrod and your Sauron.
Thanks, I'll look at those.

Quote:
A question - how easy would it be to insert/replace the vocals? And in what format (ie do you want me to send the Audacity again, or mp3s?)
Really, really easy. I've got everything saved as separate tracks in Audacity, so I can swap them in and out at will; all I need to do is keep the base track the same, and I can drop it into the video in under a minute.

Unfortunately, it turns out the Audacity files really don't transfer well between computers (or rather, they need their _data folders with them, and I'm not even sure that would work). So I think the best way to handle the data is to send me the bare vocal MP3, plus some sort of time-synched version; that can either be an audacity-synched export, or just a recording of how it should sound.

Quote:
Uhh, I am not sure. But is there anything else that he can be talking of (except the more metaphorical "I see goodness and hope in life again")? In Russian, there are no heights, not for him or for Melian, and at that point in time I wasn't sure what Finrod was referencing, again aside from the metaphorical seeing hope and beauty in life again. But once we've added the heights, that gave an extra detail with potential for an additional interpretation. Could he be talking about Valinor?
I think he must be. I've just checked, and Tolkien only uses 'dust' in two senses in the Silm: one is Anfauglith (7 times), and the other (3 times) is this:

He walked in the deserted ways of Tirion, and the dust upon his raiment and his shoes was a dust of diamonds, and he shone and glistened as he climbed the long white stairs.

We use it 6 times: metaphorically from Luthien and Finrod, literally and metaphorically from Amarie, and the two Golden Dusts.

I think the 'Truth' version holds up: this is Finrod's vision of the future of the Silmaril, and the coming of the Mariner. The one word I'd like to change is 'cursed', because in this context the Silmarils are a force for good. 'Blessed' sounds too much like an ironic epithet, and 'holy' is over the top... 'hallowed'?

The Prison Duet... so Beren is giving a Beleriand Hunter's view of despair, and I think it'd be nice for Finrod to be specifically talking about Valinor. So let's see:

Sky-ships did wander, cast adrift
Golden dust glittered at my feet

Ships wandered aimless through the sky
Gold in the fallen dust did shine

Untethered sky-ships drift away
Gold shines the dust with fading day

Quote:
I like the golden heights line, it's one of my favourites in that song! I read it as "a GOL-den DUST is SHI-ning", which is how I would say it if I was just talking normally. Maybe when I attempt to synch the choir today, I will record this snippet as well to see how it sounds.
Yeah, I don't know what I was going on about, this is how it scans. ^_^

Quote:
That kind of makes it sound like Luthien only awoke to fight, as opposed to awakening and finding something that she is willing to fight for. How about flipping tenses the other way, then? "And I will fight for that which always will be mine"?
Mmm... yep, that works.

Quote:
...Ooooh, wait. I've been mixing up the Russian and English lyrics again, they come in a different order.
'Last stood' works well anyway, so we'll stick with that.

Quote:
It's supposed to rhyme with "King", but not at the price of sacrificing the power of that line. And you already had "ring" for Thingol's stanza. :-( I am not too set on fixing this one, to be honest - just fiddling around with it to see if we've exhausted the options.
Yeah; it'll be nice if we find something that fits, but for now the crumbling throne remains.

Quote:
I've sketched Oath and part of Bloodzoning. I think Oath will come first after all. It can also be sung as either a duet or alternating brothers in places. If you want I can start the recruitment for another Feanorian voice too?...
Cool; I've got an idea for how to background it, and have drawn Curufin (shamelessly copying V2 Curufin's face because he's so perfect). I think alternating is better, because it gives a bit more variety in the visuals, but if that's too tricky to compose then we can duet.

If you can find a second Feanorian that would be awesome, but if necessary I can probably differentiate them. (I'm currently thinking we might do a full re-cast once the whole thing is finished, so we can hand various vocalists the completed Zong and say "karaoke this for me". That's why I've stopped rattling on about the voices, and also why I haven't gone looking for people myself.)

Quote:
For Beren, yeah - a lot of the plays seem to dress him up as a bandit or something. But some (V1 included) go for the romantic knight figure. By the way, what is his canonical hair colour supposed to be? I can't remember. Actually, speaking of romantic knights, the current Beren reminds me a little of this Ivanhoe. I'll take a look through the Luthiens again, and see if there are any really good ones visually. With my remember-only-what-was-recently-watched bias, I can only recommend a Celegorm and Galadriel (if you ever consider doing a second one... She looks her part and also has an interesting musical interpretation of the Epilogue, I might listen to this again when we get there).
Yeah, my Beren is just V1 Beren with different hair. Beren has sandy hair, because... well, he's Tolkien. ^_^ Which is canon, I'm not just fanning. I think he works okay in the Captivity video, but there's always room for improvement.

I still think V1 Luthien is adorable, but am happy to change her up. I like that Celegorm, and will pilfer his face.

Quote:
... Captivity is looking so good! ^.^ I just rewatched it again, and again.
By the way - what do the runes on Sauron's throne say?
Also, I might have assumed you know what I'm talking about when you might not, so to clarify just in case - Legate is our Legate. Legate of Amon Lanc.
The runes are the names of Sauron: Gorthaur, Sauron, THU. He seems the type, and it made the scene more interesting (also I am a language geek).

I did assume you meant that Legate; it's such an unusual word... has anyone asked if he's a Roman senator or a Catholic messenger? ^_^ I'll squeeze his full title into the credits at some point, I was rushing to get the last slide in.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote