View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Interesting...

It looks like the Dol Guldur episode indeed will be delt with in the second movie.

Quote:
GdT (When asked if Gandalf would be given a more active role then in the book): I believe that Gandalf is meant to be used in that way- coming and going in and out of the narrative. If anything, this creates the perfect setting for those “gaps” to be bridged by the second film…
Here's what GdT said regarding talking animals.
Quote:
I think it should be done exactly as in the book- the “talking beast” motif has to exist already to allow for that great character that is Smaug. It is far more jarring to have a linear movie and then – out of the blue – a talking Dragon.
Regarding the tone of the movie:

Quote:
GdT: We’ll see about the “Tra-la-la-“ later- but the book, I believe, in echoing the “loss of innocence” England experienced after WWI, is a passage from innocence to a darker, more somber state- The visual / thematic progression should reflect that in the camera style, color palette, textural choices, etc.
Quote:
PJ: As I said earlier, I personally feel that The Hobbit can, and should have a different tone. The "tone" of these stories shouldn't be defined by the pressure our characters were under in LOTR. The world is a different place at the time of the Hobbit. The shadow is not so dark. However, what should stay the same is the reality of Middle-earth, and the integrity we bring to it as film makers.
Quote:
GdT:...the world must feel like the same world [as in the LotR movies]. The aspect ratio, music, essential established costume and production design trademarks but I would love to bring a lot of new flavours to the table.
Looks like Del Toro wants to be faithful to the original narrative:
Quote:
GdT: I am all for trying to preserve every idiosyncrasy the novel has- the very things that seem “unfilmable” and that – in my mind- will make it thrilling as a film. The novel is much, much more inventive and dislocated in its narrative (Bilbo being hit by a rock during the Battle) than you may think at first.
I wonder if he'll have to fight for this:
Quote:
GdT: I may be in the minority, but I absolutely LOVE Beorn and I intend to feature him in the films.
About their first meeting:
Quote:
GdT: We finished a tray of shrimps together and agreed that NEW LINE should keep hiring round, bearded directors with funny accents...