View Single Post
Old 03-30-2004, 03:28 PM   #23
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Shield

I agree with many others who have said that foresight must be a gift from Ilúvatar, possibly somewhat inherited but not necessarily. Yet I am surprised that no one has brought up another instance which I feel definately proves Aragorn to be a possessor of foresight:

Quote:
"....I say to you, Éomer, that in battle we may meet again, though all the hosts of Mordor should stand between."
Aragorn to Éomer, The Passing of the Grey Company

This is right before Aragorn sets out for the Paths of the Dead. The two do indeed meet again in battle, and one of my favorite passages follows:

Quote:
"Thus we meet again, though all the hosts of Mordor lay between us," said Aragorn. "Did I not say so at the Hornburg?"

"So you spoke," said Éomer, "but hope oft deceives, and I knew not then that you were a man foresighted."
Aragorn makes a foresighted prediciton, or prophecy, if you will, and it is fulfilled. Is that not great proof of foresight? Another interesting thing to note is that Éomer does not seem astonished that Aragorn has foresight, as he no doubt would if such a thing never occured among men. Seeing as Éomer has only ever had dealings with the people of Rohan and a limited number of men from Gondor, one could safely assume that certain members of the Rohirrim also had some degree of foresight.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote