View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #49
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Regarding the relationship between Galadriel and Celeborn. Celeborn tells them to avoid Fangorn, and Boromir says it seems to him to be "old wives' tales, such as we tell to our children."

Quote:
"Then I need say no more," said Celeborn. "But do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know."
I just find this quote interesting in the discussion of Celeborn being focused on providing needed gifts for the Fellowship's present tasks (most noticeable in the boats. Did Celeborn also give the cloaks?) and Galadriel's gifts are given with the future and their end fate. Celeborn's warning to avoid Fangorn is giving counsel on their most immediate decision, do they leave the river on the east or west? It makes me wonder if Celeborn is making a statement about Galadriel's role as an "old wife", who keeps in "memory word of things that once were needful for the wise [Celeborn] to know."

Speaking of Fangorn, in his response about he would go through Fangorn to get back to Minas Tirith if he had to...it just shows Boromir is the character most clearly uncomfortable around elves. He was refusing to go through Lothlorien unless the entire company was against him, but when advised to avoid Fangorn, he said he would find a way through Fangorn if need be (because no elves in Fangorn ). Did anyone think the story would lead us through Fangorn?

Friendships are beginning to solidify in (and departing) Lorien. Most noticeably between Legolas and Gimli, and those two have left changed. But this is also the first time Boromir is connected to Merry and Pippin (by receiving belts) and upon departing they're in a boat together. Aragorn's with Frodo and Sam, but he's the one with the hardest decision ahead...to follow Frodo or go to Minas Tirith with Boromir.

And a final quick point...I was critical of Jackson for portraying lembas as this delicious elf cake treat, but color me surprised when the Elves have a laugh at Gimli eating too much of the delicious honey cake.