View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #30
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Virtual wargs?

It's funny that it never struck me as odd before (maybe it did), but reading about the wolves/wargs, I now find it odd that they disappear by morning's light. After reading this thread (and davem's various explanations), I guess others find them odd as well. Some thoughts:
  • Why do they wargs disappear at dawn, yet are physical enough to be slain by real weapons?
  • Why do the Hounds of Sauron wait until it is almost light to attack?
  • Gandalf is concerned on Caradhas about starting a fire. When he finally does, he states that he has written 'Gandalf is here' for all to see. Why then does he torch every tree in the ring when the wargs attack, as surely this says, 'Gandalf is now here' for all to see?
  • To me, the "Hounds of Sauron" echoes the 'hounds of Hell,' though I'm not sure where that phrase arises (I know that it appears in Vincent Price's monologue in Michael Jackson's song "Thriller," but somehow I'm not sure that that counts). And it would have to be Sauron, as no other enemy quite compares (i.e. "Go back, Hounds of Sandyman!")
  • Why are there no other examples of disappearing organics in Middle Earth? Or, as stated, are these creatures like Sauron, who, at the drowning of Númenor, leaves his body behind? One wonders if these creatures current best form were wargs, what options were then available when/if they reincarnated ("Oy! The Aardvarks of Sauron are upon us!")

On another note, this is a wonderful chapter with my favorite, Gandalf, guiding the Fellowship through the dark with nary a misstep.