View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 08:45 AM   #45
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Yes, davem, thank you muchly for the info re: belts and knighthood. Somewhere above (too lazy to look or link it) I argued that Galadriel, in her gift giving, seems to be far more about endings/Home than Celeborn, who is about the present/Road. Boromir, Pippin and Merry were rather tricky in my argument, as I had no idea how their gifts related to their endings. . .but now I do!

I also like how this ties Boromir/Pippin/Merry together ever more closely. I'm not sure that I would see Boromir as 'already a knight' however, but would strive instead to hold on to the idea (put forward by davem) that Boromir is on a journey of growth and maturation of his own. At this point in the book, I think we can see him as an untried knight: he's not really been useful or effective in a fight yet, his heart has been sorely tested by the Lady in the Castle Perilous, and he's been found a bit wanting. But when it comes time to lay down his life for Merry and Pippin, I think that he will show himself to be proper knight hood material.

Hmm. . .Pippin and Merry are made knights when they offer allegiance to Denethor and Theoden: perhaps Boromir does not fully grow into knighthood until he finally offers allegiance and love (and is given both in return) to Aragorn?? But that will have to wait for the appropriate chapter.