View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 10:58 AM   #5
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
One impression that I would like to point out before it slips my mind completely is regarding Galadriel’s temptation the fellowship:

Quote:
All of them, it seemed, had faired alike: each had felt that he was offered a choice between a shadow full of fear that lay ahead, and something that he greatly desired….”
Until now I had always felt that Galadriel was testing the character of each in the fellowship with a purely benevolent motive, but at this reading I had the distinct notion that she was weighing her own temptation at the same time, and that her impetus for searching their thoughts might have been prompted by both the proximity of the Ring and her own desire for it. If she had found them any weaker I wonder if it would have affected the ultimate outcome of her test.

She knew of their purpose, and that they sought to destroy it, or be caught trying. Can't help but wonder if it were also a choice between "a shadow full of fear that lay ahead and something greatly desired" for her as well!

Edit: This is be no means to say that she would be impolite and seize the opportunity, unless of course it was "given her freely" and she deemed it necessary. If Elrond, Gandalf and Aragorn trusted her, who am I to have doubts. I like to think though, that she found in the company the inspiration she needed to resist. (She has seemed to have mellowed a bit since her UT days.)

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 10-25-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote