View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 05:57 AM   #3
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I suppose I have a slightly different take on what Frodo & Sam see in the Mirror - though I think Boromir88 makes important points regarding it

There are a few significant points in this chapter, specifically centred around the central event - the Mirror. This is one point in the story where the events in the early drafts are enlightening in the context of the finished version.

As in the movie, the original idea was to have Frodo alone looking into the Mirror, & he was to have witnessed the destruction of the Shire. Tolkien decides against this, & introduces Sam as recipient of these sights. Why?

Sam sees the Shire - his home, what it was & what has happened (or will happen) to it. This shows where Sam’s heart is. His vision strays for a moment to Frodo & the journey, but almost immediately it comes back to the Shire, his true concern. Frodo, however, sees nothing of the Shire. His vision is of the greater world, ‘the great history in which he had become involved’. The only thing he sees which relates to his ‘old’ life is Bilbo - but not Bilbo back in Bag End: he sees Bilbo the exile from the Shire, in Rivendell, lost among his papers - which will turn out to be not simply his own journal, but also his ‘Translations from the Elvish’, The Silmarillion. Sam is still (& will always remain) a wanderer from the Shire who will return home in the end. Frodo, even at this point in his story, is a permanent exile, for whom there can be no going back. He has chosen another world, one which touches the mortal world only tangentially, & is splitting from it with increasing rapidity.

Sam has wished to see Elf magic, because the Elven world is alien to him, a place of wonder & novelty, where ‘magic’ happens, genies offer three wishes, trees walk, carpets fly & pumpkins are transformed into coaches at the wave of a Fairy Godmother’s wand. Frodo doesn’t desire to see Elf magic, because Faerie is not like that for him - he is more like an exile returning home. He is ‘content’ with Faerie just the way it is - he has no desire for it to start playing ‘tricks’. Sam wants to be entertained by Faerie & then go home. Frodo is home, finally, & is about to be exiled from it in order to take the Ring to the Fire, & if he succeeds in doing so he will destroy his home. Sam is on the Quest to save his home, Frodo is on the Quest (he now realises) to destroy his home.

We also see again how the Ring begins to grow on Frodo: he asks Galadriel ‘I am permitted to wear the One Ring (‘NO YOU AREN’T!!!!!): why cannot I see all the others & know the thoughts of those that wear them?’

Finally, a point I think I brought up elsewhere & I can’t at the moment remember which essay I originally read it in: Galadriel says that if she took the Ring ‘All shall love me & despair. This is significant - Sauron is served by slaves who are motivated by fear. Galadriel’s ‘slaves’ would serve her out of love. She would be more dangerous than Sauron, more powerful, because while Sauron’s slaves would wish to be free of his rule, Galadriel’s never would. Sauron’s slaves would slay themselves out of terror of him, Galadriel’s out of love for her. We can see here the potential for a terrible fundamentalism in her followers: slaying others & sacrificing their own lives at her wish. I don’t think Tolkien pursues this idea anywhere else - his fanatics are either driven by fear or desire. But ‘love’ as a motivating force for atrocities is at least a potential danger in Middle earth. All that said, it is strange that her taking & wielding of the Ring could inspire ‘love’ in her subjects - in what way would they ‘love’ her?

Boromir's other point regarding the invisibility of Nenya is reminiscent of Bombadil & the One - both he & Galadriel seem more powerful than the respective Rings. But, back to the 'magic' question - is it for the same reason? Is the same kind of power being used by them both, or are they using different powers to produce the same effect?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote