View Single Post
Old 10-06-2004, 04:10 PM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! My two cents

Good post Fordhim, you've brought up some interesting discussion questions.

Quote:
I mean there he is with the Man he now knows is his King, not to mention Mithrandir, and he is still holding himself forth as their equal, and arguing against them?
We know, it's Boromir's nature to argue, if you don't agree with him. First we have Moria, then we see it again where he doesn't want to enter Lothlorien, then he argues with Aragorn travelling down the Anduin. Maybe, that's why I like him, because he speaks his mind. You are correct, this does not look well for Aragorn to be "king." We know Boromir wants the sword to return back to Minas Tirith, he comes out and says it at the council, but I'm not totally sure he wants the person wielding the sword to come to Minas Tirith.

Quote:
It’s almost as though the purpose of the Fellowship is realised most fully in its failures – they can’t get over Caradhras, they get mired in disputes and unhappiness in Moria, Gandalf falls. Could it be, perhaps, that the role of the Fellowship is a flawed one?
You are correct, the Fellowship ends in total despair and disaster. Gandalf dies, Boromir dies, Aragorn faces his "mental" test as he's doubting his decisions, and wishes Gandalf was still there. But, in all this total chaos look what springs from it, a friendship. First, we have 9 people, joining together, forming a fellowship, to help Frodo. Ok, they are all getting to know eachother, pretty close friends, then when the fellowship breaks, look at the friendships that spring off that. Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli, Merry/Pippin, Sam/Frodo. They are smaller, yet stronger, friendships then the original fellowship of 9. Legolas and Gimli create a relationship never seen between an elf and dwarf, Sam was just a servant to Frodo before, and now he's Frodo's best, most loyal, friend. Merry and Pippin were close friends from the beginning, but I still believe they grew a stronger friendship, as we get to see on Pelennor fields. So from the group of 9, we'll call it a "loose friendship", not really strong, and as you say it just seems one despair after another. It breaks, and out pops out, smaller, stronger bonds, between the fellowship members. So, I disagree, the fellowship wasn't a failure. Yes, it failed to stay together, but even seperated there was still that "fellowship," and a "stronger friendship," then the original fellowship. The Fellowship's task was to help Frodo, we know it's an extremely low possibility that they will suceed. We also know anyone may leave when they desire too, so you may look at it, like it was "doomed" or "destined" to fail. But, without that original fellowship, you wouldn't have those smaller, stronger bonds, I mentioned. And without those smaller "fellowships" the quest would surely have been lost.

Last edited by Boromir88; 10-06-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote