View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 01:38 PM   #46
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pio -

Funny you should say that. Ever since I began thinking about "reformed" Orcs, I have been thinking of them as Klingons or possibly a cross between Klingons and Plains Indians!

Yes, herding is a possibility as well as hunting. Actually, I can see the women herding and the men hunting, and perhaps having the women be more successful than the men.

I wonder if Orcs would have the ability/desire to "herd" or "capture" any wild animals that normally wouldn't be kept or hunted by a simple human farmer? Nothing in particular comes to mind....it just seems suited to their nature. I have no idea what kind of animals are running around Mordor with Sauron gone 19 years. Surely there must have been some.

Too bad there aren't any buffalo herds or wild warthogs or wild boars (or are there?). Wild boars would seem to be well suited to the Orc culture--good meat and a chance to prove themselves on some kind of pecking order, i.e., wild and dangerous and who's the best hunter. If there were edible wild animals of some type, it would also be another possible connection between the two cultures. The ex-slaves would certainly appreciate not having wild boars come tearing into their village.

Or are there other animals more suited to the climate and weather conditions of Mordor?

Welcome back, Durelin!