View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #19
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
Do you mean because an englishman would have used the term "grey"? Riding a horse in the line of duty doesn't require that he had been immersed in the equestrian culture.

Asfaloth and Frodo had a few different ideas as to what should be done, and perhaps Tolkien's situation had been similar. I doubt Tolkien had followed the hounds. When the hunter cleared the old trenches, I wonder if Tolkien took a fistful of mane, just as Frodo did.

Could be .. but I was very immersed in equestrian culture at the time I first read the books and it jarred as a very basic error from such a perfectionist! However of course it is easy to forget that when Tolkien was young horses were still very much a method of transport.

I don't think a good hunter would have had much problem with the old trenches as far as simple width goes... the quality is in coping with whatever it is faced with and with the rider - although a jump across something is much easier to sit than up and over.... showjumpers generally regard water jumps as easier obstacles...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote