View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #44
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Leaf Groveling and Begging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMisfortuneTeller View Post
They differ, however, in that the magician believes that he can compel, or coerce, the Spook-or-spooks to do what he commands through spells and enchantments, while the priest believes that only his ritual groveling and begging can convince the Spook-or-spooks to look favorably upon him and his tribe instead of some other priest or tribe. Therein lies the distinction between "Magic" and "Religion" -- both forms of Animism, but differing in their advertised ways of dealing with the unseen Big-Animal or host-of-little-unseen-animals -- none of which exist outside the fanciful human imagination.
It would be very easy to build a cynical political model of how religion works, with or without actual magical powers by gods and priests. Perhaps the congregation provides power through worship needed by the gods and priests. Perhaps the congregation can coerce the gods through groveling and begging. Perhaps the prayers are compulsive, that the gods might have to act. Perhaps a god who does not respond to requests just doesn't get worshipped. Perhaps the priests are in it to maximize their own power, using the congregation and the gods equally. One could create a cynical scheme where all parties involved are asking 'what's in it for me', and acting in a selfish fashion.

One could create such a system of religion, but I don't think the above is at all what Tolkien did with Middle Earth. There is no priesthood trying to optimize their own power and influence. The Valar have an abundance of power, have no need to demand or coerce worship. The divinities seem more or less sane and rational, though hardly perfect and ideal. I have no sense that they would respond well to groveling or begging. Quite the contrary, they seem ready to let ordinary beings handle thing by themselves the majority of the time. Individuals in extreme situations might appeal to the Valar, but the sense that I get is that you don't bother them for little stuff. Even then, you might sort of let them know there is a problem by quickly invoking their Names, then do the best one can with or without their help.

I can see both wizardly and religious magic in Middle Earth. I do see an abundance of fea all over the place: Valar, elves, humans, trees, rocks, weather and most everything in between. One might apply various words used to describe human religions to Middle Earth, but I wouldn't expect to be able to neatly pidgin hole things.

But the notion that one should grovel and beg to manipulate the Valar… That just doesn't feel right. Whether one is writing fan fiction, role playing or holding a academic discussion, that just doesn't feel like the way to gain their sympathy or support. I'd recommend performing a great heroic deed or two. If you can't sing as well as Lúthien, I'd avoid the groveling and begging.
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote