View Single Post
Old 02-21-2022, 06:57 PM   #79
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Reading through this thread ... Incredible

Much of the 'analysis' I've seen online comes in with a 'hateful' bias from the start. I found that This Analysis by Cory Olsen was pretty objective and fairly balanced, and does a good job of pointing out what Tolkien actually wrote vs what has grown to be pop-culture in the wake of the Peter Jackson fan fics (bearded women dwarves as an example).

Sadly, it appears that many people already have written off this new Rings of Power series. I see the haters are really out in force with these latest poster and trailer reveals. One thing I noted in the various places the posters and first look articles were posted on fecebook (IMDB has some of the most horrid comments) reddit, and on some forums is a lot of the ones who hate this so bad think PJ did an awesome job presenting Lord of the Rings. They didn’t mind the many wholesale changes made to that complete book story, saying ‘it needed to be done to appeal to the masses’. I find that segment humorous.

Anyway, the main reasons for the hatred of The Rings of Power appears to be a mix of these:

A. I hate it because it is being made by Amazon.
B. Bezos made mention of Game of Thrones when he bought the rights, so it is going to be Game of Thrones.
C. It’s revisionist ‘woke’ BS (because it isn’t an all-white cast)
D. They are making stuff up that isn’t in the source material (original characters and storylines, tweaking canon characters, and such).
E. They didn’t use the same actors that PJ did, so it’s crap.
F. It doesn’t matter if the Tolkien Estate is actively involved. They only care about money, not Tolkien’s legacy after Christopher died, so it will be crap.

That is just to name a few I’ve come across. Any more reasons given?
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote