View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #307
Maglor
Pile O'Bones

Maglor has just left Hobbiton.
Just finished! Care to hear some of my initial post-read impressions? If not, then too bad. ;-)

First of all, I think it's important for me to explain the context in which I read this novel (or novella, as many have labeled it). My favorite work of Tolkien's is probably The Silmarillion, though I hadn't read it in several years. After hearing news of the new book, I felt it appropriate to reread the Sil in preparation, and to simply re-adjust to Tolkien's style before CoH was released. I also bought Unfinished Tales, which I still haven't read, but am now very eager to delve into. So here's my position pre-CoH: I adore The Silmarillion, and loved Turin's tale, but was forgetful of all but the major plot points.

Long story short: I planned to read the Sil in its entirety, but due to a busy schedule I didn't through it all in time. As it turns out, I reached to midway through the Nirnaeth before I picked up CoH on its release day. Yet here was a magnificent stroke of fortune in that, inadvertently, I had set myself up for the optimum reading experience because not only were all of the names and events of the First Age fresh in my mind, but I had transitioned at the perfect point from one book to the next, as the Nirnaeth is given chapter treatment in the new book. Compounded with my hazy memory of Turin and failure to read the UT Narn, my reading experience was fresh, exciting, and rewarding.

Now for my quick-hit thoughts about the material itself:

--One of the best surprises was how the story itself is both epic as well as intimate. I love the Sil unabashedly for its sheer scope and brilliance, but rarely did its tales become overtly personal. It was told from a distance as a detached mythological tome. Now I don't fault the Sil for this, because that was exactly its purpose. But when reading CoH I was stuck by how the events, which unfolded more at the "ground level" so to speak, became more immediate. Lalaith's death due to the Evil Breath better captures Morgoth's evil than any far-reaching description of his dark magic because Turin's pain is so tangible. That said, the story still manages to create the illusion of "distance" of the Sil, as if it were a genuine lost tale of Middle-Earth. The balance between past and present is struck to perfection here.

--I've heard a few remarks about this novel being "light on characterization", but aside from a few of the arbitrary minor characters that Tolkien throws in (as he often did), I didn't really see it. (A note on those "underdeveloped" or seemingly random appearances: the inclusion of these one-and-done characters often lends a sense of true history to Tolkien's fantastical realm.). Turin has to, I think, go down as one of Tolkien's most well-developed and complex characters in all his legendarium. I needn't even mention that he is tragically flawed, but his constant struggle with his intentions over his outcomes is fascinating to see unfold. Actually, many characters in the story possess ambivalence. I was particularly impacted by the ultimate cowardice of Dorlas, the great orc-slayer, in the final chapters. A turn-around I'd never expected, but it echoes emotional realism. Overall, there exist shades of grey here to a degree that the classic LOTR doesn't match.

--A few things on the actual plot: I quite liked the idea that Turin, seemingly destined to be a great leader among men, fell to a live of wandering among various groups of clans and outlaws. That the wielder of the dreaded Black Sword remained in mystery for so long was very intriguing. Oh, here's something of note: After coming off the first 3/4 of the Sil, Thingol was portrayed as much gentler and mellower than the grumpy elitist in the Silmarillion. I quited liked the change actually; was he this way in the Narn as well?

--Alan Lee's artwork is absolutely gorgeous.

--I can clearly see how this book might be difficult for Joe Somebody fresh off LOTR wanting the next Tolkien fix. In fact, my appreciation for the work was increased exponentially by my familiarity with the Sil. I know that the intro covers many of the major events, but I imagine it would be information overload for many unsuspecting readers.

--I have a few crticisms. For one, it is too short. Can't really lay the blame on anyone for that because it obviously wasn't completed during Tolkien's lifetime, but some of the most pivotal events suffer from its brevity, notably some of the battle sequences (esp. Nargothrond, which says that the elves go into battle and are defeated in about a paragraph). The death of Beleg was also too short, but I still felt its impact due to Turin's demeanor afterward.

--Also, some of the passages seemed a bit...off to me. I was just slightly put off by the overused technique of combining five, six clauses into a single sentence. ____, and _____, and ____; and ____ ....etc. And some of the dialogue seemed strangely structured with awkward pauses and questionable syntax. Maybe this is just me though...I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else had the same feeling. In the end, though, these complaints are but minor quibbles in an overall outstanding work. I suspect some of my reactions to the dialogue was due to the overall "newness" of the thing, not knowing what to expect. And there were also some classic exchanges to make up for the awkward. I'd like to re-read the book sometime just to see how it feels the second time around, but...

--...after fully indulging one of Tolkien's "Great Tales", I am panged with hunger for feature-length versions of the others. Of course, that led to great sadness when I realized that these wonderful stories never came to fruition. What I'm really dying for is some Tuor, a real hero to offset the antiheroic qualities of the memorable Turin. Luckily I've got a fresh Unfinished Tales to devour, though I hate to imagine the disappointment when the tale cuts off abruptly at Gondolin. Oh well, I'm going for it anyway :-) . That, combined with the Sil version of Earendil's voyage should be enough to uplift and counter the utter despair of The Children of Hurin.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to add this. Gurthang speaking to Turin before death, and what it says, is one of the creepiest, most chilling things I've read:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Hail Gurthang! No lord or loyalty dost thou know, save the hand that wieldeth thee. From no blood wilt thou shrink. Wilt thou take Turin Turambar, wilt thou slay me swiftly?'

And from the blade rang a cold voice in answer: 'Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, that so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and the blood of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly.'

Last edited by Maglor; 04-29-2007 at 07:10 AM.
Maglor is offline   Reply With Quote