View Single Post
Old 01-06-2024, 05:57 PM   #634
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
To be honest I'm not perfectly sure what the ships were from a canonical perspective - cause previously Teleri ships were still sitting on a waterline, right? But I am totally for "have wandered".
Oh, hmm, I forgot the Straight Road. That's at least a possible other meaning.

Quote:
Hmm. I am a fan of "brand", but don't like the structure of "[adjective] and [adjective]" at the end. "Dawn brands my shoulder with ray bright"? "Dawn's gold ray brands my shoulder bright"?
"Dawn brands my shoulder, burning bright"?

Quote:
On the subject of lyrics, I keep flip-flopping about "Those daring / to love can walk unscathed through strife". I suppose it does fit into the "love conquers all" theme, but mainly it's there to provide a rhyme for Finrod's despodent " What deed could justofy my life", which I am really fond of. As a more objective reader/viewer, does this line bother you at all?
Well now it does. Google says "Only the faithful stand fearlessly on the edge", which suggests an alternate rhyme of "knife" (as in The Quest Stands On The Edge Of A). "Unfearing / Loyalty faces down the knife", or "Loyalty / Bids us face fearless to the knife"?

What is Beren saying with this line? Is he comforting Finrod who's about to sacrifice himself, or rejecting "just one may be" and saying they should both die, or saying he should die instead?

(Now I'm looking at the previous line, where Google says the Russian uses "lamps". Not as in the Two Lamps, right?)

hS