View Single Post
Old 05-19-2004, 06:52 PM   #371
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Lira's body

Good question, and I have given it a wee bit of thought, but nothing decisive.

Burning on a pyre is out. Even though that fits Celtic mythology, it doesn't fit Tolkien's construction because burning on a pyre carries the meaning that the spirit is rising with the smoke and flames into the great beyond, and Elves know better.

It is more in keeping that Lira would be buried, since Elves are (as well as being so in tune with the spiritual dimension) very much in tune with root and leaf and ground. Think of Arwen in Lorien at the end of her days, for example. But Lira? Where did she call home? That would be the most appropriate burial ground, unless there was a place that meant even more to her.

Your suggestions raise an interesting question to me: were Elves buried in terms of what they meant to others, or in terms of what was most dear to themselves while they were alive? What would an Elf think about this? Any guesses? Wow! Sounds like a discussion thread topic for Books, no?

Yes, it is sad that things are coming to a close, but they needn't for the characters. I can imagine Falowik and Uien carrying on, somewhere, somehow, and Falco has learned just enough tolerance for Big People, as well as a new sense of just what he's capable of, that he might get it into his head to go on a journey, and maybe with some Big Person that he knows better than most. I wish I had gotten to develop more of a softening in Falco's outlook, but that can happen beyond this story. And heck, I really like Eodwine a lot. He was my firstest rpg character here at the Downs.